Monday, October 12, 2009

Pray ... "For Our Children"

I have never had any children of my own, but having taught for over 40 years I have had the wonderful opportunity to love hundreds of children. Over those 40+ years, I have seen many changes in our culture, changes which create great concern for "my" children and the children of "my" children.

Scripture says, "... whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue, and if there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Everything contrary to what that Scripture verse says was present 2000 years ago when it was penned, but in today's culture with the media, the internet, facebook, etc. etc. the contrary is ever so much more readily accessible. All of this can be used for good, but the temptation for our children (and for us) is ever present for the contrary.

I am always challenged and/or encouraged by reading Amy Carmichael's books. She was an Irish missionary to India in the last century who worked to rescue children from temple prostitution. Today I came across this prayer/poem that she wrote. Lord, help me to be faithful to pray for "my" children.

FOR OUR CHILDREN

FATHER hear us, we are praying,
Hear the words our hearts are saying,
We are praying for our children.

Keep them from the powers of evil,
From the secret, hidden peril,
From the whirlpool that would suck them,
From the trecherous quicksand, pluck them.

From the worldling's hollow gladness,
From the sting of faithless sadness,
Holy Father, save our children.

Through life's troubled water's steer them,
Through life's bitter battle cheer them,
Father, Father, be Thou near them,
Read the language of our longing,
Read the wordless pleadings thronging,
Holy Father, for our children.

And wherever they may hide,
Lead them Home at eventide.

2 comments:

  1. You know Bev, I pray for my children and other children. The Lord has blessed us not with perfect children but from what Les and I can see, children who are still in disbelief at the actions of the world. It is frightening when you see the content of former students facebook pages. I have had to stop accepting friend requests from my friends kids because I become so desperate for their well-being looking at what they feel is common and acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Barb ... I know what you mean. My heart aches.
    None of us is perfect, but we have a perfect Savior Who leads us in the paths of righteousness as we look to Him. Praise God that your girls are still in disbelief at the actions of the world. May the Lord give you and Les wisdom as you endeavour to help them to walk in His paths and to not be conformed to the world's actions and thinking which bombard them daily.

    ReplyDelete