Tuesday, February 2, 2010

At long last ...

I am back to my blog.

It has been my joy for the past few weeks to have the company of a good friend in my home.  We had good times together and good talks, but time for blogging had to take a back seat.

Over these weeks I read through Exodus and through Mark.  The truth that impressed me in both these sections of Scripture is the overALL, complete sovereignty of the Lord God.

Here are just two quotes ... one from Exodus in the Old Testament and one from Mark in the New Testament. ...

Exodus 9:13-17, 34   
(Pharaoh thought he was in charge.  Not so - it was God!)

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Rise up early in the morning and present yourself to Pharaoh and say to him, 'Thus says the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, let my people go that they may serve me.  For this time I will send all my plagues on you yourself, and on your servants and your people, so that you may know that there is none like me in all the earth.  For by now I could have put out my hand and struck you and your people with pestilence, and you would have been cut off from the earth.  But, for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.  You are still exalting yourself against my people and will not let them go." ... ... ... But when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunder had ceased, he sinned yet again and hardened his heart, he and his servants.  So the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, and he did not let the people of Israel go, just as the Lord had spoken through Moses.

Mark 14:49
(The Jews of that day wanted Jesus out of the way, and, ultimately, to take His life ... when they finally did lay their hands on Him, Jesus spoke of the true situation ... God's word was being fulfilled.)

And they laid hands on him and seized him. ... And Jesus said to them, "Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me?  Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me, but let the Scriptures be fulfilled."

* * *  In these uncertain times in which we live,
in which the rulers of this world think they are in charge,
what a comfort it is to know that the Lord God is sovereign
He is working all things together for good ... and for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment