Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Writing while waiting ...

I'm waiting for a return phone call in answer to a question I had, so while I am waiting I will add to my blog.

Since writing my last blog post, I have continued with the Bible reading plan I chose to do this year.  Now that I am six days into it, it has been confirmed in its use that I made the right choice for my temperament.  I am really liking concentrating on one book of Scripture at a time.  The Bible I am using was new for my birthday back in November, so I approach my reading time with colored pencils in hand and mark the text with a color code system I devised years ago when I took a class in Bible study methods.

As I am reading along, and the Lord calls my attention to a verse or section of verses I either underline the verse or bracket the section with the pertinent color in my system.  (I find Crayola colored pencils work best.)

     orange -  God
     blue -     Jesus
     purple -  Holy Spirit
     red -      salvation
     green -   commands to obey, ways to grow in the Christian life
     yellow -  promises to claim, treasures in Christ
     brown -  sin/Satan

Doing this helps me to concentrate and to see connections between one portion of the text and another.
I also use a regular lead pencil if I want to mark a time line or circle key words/names or draw an arrow from one related section to another.  This also makes it easy to go back and find something that relates to something else I am reading at a later date or if I am in need of reviewing a certain passage that would apply to a particular problem, or need, I might have subsequent to my reading on any given day.

This system works well for me.  Give it a try some time - you may find it beneficial in your reading.

At this date I am still reading in Genesis. 

It struck me how Noah's salvation and keeping in the ark is such a picture of our salvation and keeping in Christ.  Noah was given the rainbow as the sign of his covenant with God.  (Genesis 9:11-17)  We are given the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 1:13-14) ... "In Him [Christ] you also when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promise of the Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of His glory." (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment